Wednesday, September 2, 2009

24



How to begin? My first 24 hours in France have been insane, wonderful, and a little overwhelming. After disembarking the plane at the Lyon airport (LYS) I had this horrible, twisted feeling in my stomach, nerves. But my host mother is nice. After seeing the apartement that was to be my home for the next five months, I was estatic. My room here is a classic French boudoir, with a 10' ceiling, french doors, and a giant bed in velvet and wood (with matching armchair). I think I have landed in a fairytale a la Francaise. Then I saw my University. Perfect. Stone corridors, giant glass doors, and hundreds (or so it seems) of courtyards to connect it all. The city? Also perfect. Then I got really lost in aforementioned city. Not so perfect. Well, if this is what it is like to feel bipolar, I kinda get why those kids don't always take their meds. I'd miss the great highs too. (just kidding, btw)



I am currently enrolled in my stage, a two week intensive french course, running from 9h to 16h30 each day. The focus of the stage is development durable, or roughly, sustainable development. It seems really interesting. Apparently, le development durable is a big tag thing here in Europe, kind of like renewable energy in the States. After the end of the class today, the professeurs took us on a walk next to the river. Waiting at the end was a little, informal cocktail event, with free beer. Yep, free. Perfect. Then I took the metro home and got lost. Ah well, can't have everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment