Wednesday, September 2, 2009

There is nothing like the Germans

Yesterday I spent about two hours in the Frankfurt airport, in a country I  have never visited, that speaks a language I do not speak, not in the slightest.  The only things I can say in german are, “I speak german.” (not very useful when one does not speak german) and “Bless you, thank you and you’re welcome.” Yep, basically, german and I do not get along. Yet, I’ve been told the German’s have a word meaning “taking pleasure in another’s pain.” Now this, I would think very useful. Perhaps germans and I are not so incompatible after all.

 

Beyond this, my impression of the German’s (formed entirely on their airport and history) is that they are obsessed with cleanlieness and streamlined forms. There is nary a single basque, Romanesque or  aesthetically pleasing curve anywhere. Everything is clean, crisp and straight. Yet, there is a sort of beauty to it, the shining, dark, stone floors and the industrial, stainless steel pillars join together in a minimalist’s dream. And everything is clean. (did I already mention that?) I mean really clean,; I have yet to see a single piece of trash or speck of german dirt in my entire time in Germany (all two hours). Strange huh?

FrankfurtAirport-778484.JPG.jpg

6.jpg

The airport in Frankfurt, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment